If you’ve come to this site, you must be looking for something you could not find somewhere else. I have called it Soul Food because when you are in crisis and suicidal, your soul is craving something it is not being fed. I am not a counselor or therapist. My goal with this fledgling site is to provide some coping mechanisms and resources.
What ever you are experiencing right now it is real. Don’t let well intended comments from friends and family make you feel like your concerns, issues and fears don’t matter. They do matter to you.
One of the worst parts of having suicidal thoughts is the inability to express those feelings to another human being. Your issues maybe such that you can’t discuss them with your family or close friends: sexuality, abuse, neglect, money, school, etc. Plus, there might be multiple issues that are driving your stress and feelings of “no hope”.
A few tools that have helped me and others:
1. Start writing. This could be pencil and paper or anonymous blog. It is okay to write similar entries as you look at the issues from different perspectives. Put down all your fears, feelings, disappointments and what a ‘happy’ life might look like.
2. Start an anonymous twitter account. While it is only 140 characters, you can blast a tweet and it feels like screaming to the world. No one will know who you are, but you can engage other tweeters in conversation. I met some great people from the UK with similar issues.
3. Change your location, walk or exercise. Actually, when I am depressed, I don’t want to exercise, I would rather eat ice cream, but getting out of the house helps. Get in the sunshine if possible.
4. Find someone who will LISTEN to you. Suicide prevention lines can be very helpful, but there is no substitute for another human being sitting across from you. While counseling is great, not everyone has the time, money or opportunity. If you need someone to meet with over coffee, just to talk, let me know and I can try to find someone to meet with you. Obviously if you are a young adult struggle with your sexuality it would be best for you to meet another person in the same age range with similar experiences.
I would like to develop a network of people who can meet folks under stress and just listen to them. If you know of anyone, please pass this page along to them.
The Gender Health Center in Sacramento provides affordable counseling in Sacramento. They charge on a sliding scale and provide individual and group therapy. They are not a suicide prevention hot line, but a counseling resource.
Gender Health Center
2020 29th Street, Suite 201
Sacramento, CA 95817
|Our Phone Number|
|Our Email Address|
If you would like to contribute to this page (coping mechanisms, resources, etc.) please send me an email with your comments so I can post them.
- 52With the participation of Chaz Bono on ‘Dancing With The Stars’, the awareness of transgender people in our communities has been raised. Contrary to what many people may think, transgender people don’t just live in Hollywood or San Francisco. Sacramento and the surrounding areas are home to many transgender people. An obvious challenge for most…
- 46On August 14, 2012, two young men hanged themselves in Sacramento County, CA. Because their suicides were in public places, both of the deaths were reported in the Sacramento Bee (Bridge, School). Both of the young men were reported to be in their 20's. Only friends and family may have a notion as to why…
- 42Sacramento's Gender Health Center (GHC) Player's Night - A Flapper Dapper Soiree! fund raiser held at California Automobile Museum left an impression on me, but not for the reasons you may think. The assembled crowd of supporters, counselors and clients gathered to celebrate the two year milestone of GHC providing services to men and women…
- 41A great feature of Linked In is the ability to join groups and participate in conversations about business related topics. Recently I responded to a comment thread that was a little off topic but permissible. I was fairly ruthlessly attacked in writing by one of the other group members. While this did not necessarily bother…
- 39It is no fun to explain to someone that their work is sub-par. Recently, I had to fire the person that was developing business and post cards for my business. This person is truly a wonderful human being but their lack of business and listening skills became a deal killer. While I try very hard…