Blue Shield has joined the growing trend of Medicare Supplement carriers of offering a Plan F with extra benefits built into the plan. In addition to a basic gym membership, Blue Shield is including vision insurance, hearing aid benefits, and a personal emergency response system.
Medicare Supplement With Vision, Hearing, Personal Emergency Alert System
Medicare Supplement Plan F covers virtually all Medicare related expenses. It is the most comprehensive supplement offered. But Medicare does not cover dental, vision, or hearing related health care costs unless they are medically necessary. The routine expenses of dental cleanings, eye glasses or help paying for hearing aids is not covered under original Medicare. More Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans are introducing benefits for many of these routine, and necessary, health care services.
Blue Shield Plan F Extras
Blue Shield’s new Plan F Extra will offer vision services through MESVision. If the member visits an in-network optometrist-
- $10 Copay: Comprehensive eye exam every 12 months
- $25 Copay: eyeglass lenses with single vision, bifocal, trifocal, aphakic lenticular lenses
- $100 Allowance: eyeglass frames every 24 months
- Contact lenses in lieu of eyeglasses
- There are allowances for optometrists who are out of network
The hearing aid services will be provided by EPIC Hearing.
- Hearing aid examination every 12 months at no cost
- $499 member cost share per Vista 610 hearing aid
- $799 member cost share per Vista 810 hearing aid
- This includes custom fitting, batteries, and adjustments. The hearing aids can be in ear, canal, behind ear, or receiver in ear type.
Personal Emergency Alert System
The final extra is the personal emergency response system (PERS). PERS is an emergency alert system that can be activated at the push of a button. It can work with an in-home landline, cellular network, and includes mobile GPS to identify the user’s location. The most advertised use for the personal emergency alert system is if the person falls and can’t get up. This can happen in the person’s home, while they out walking around the neighborhood, or hiking on a trail.
The rates for the Blue Shield Plan F Extra are between $15 and $20 lower than the standard Plan F depending on your location in California. Plan F will actually be discontinued for people who become eligible for Original Medicare in 2020. Plan G, which does not cover the Medicare Part B deductible, will be replacing Plan F.
Medicare Supplements are guarantee issue for the first six months after a Medicare beneficiary is eligible and activates Part B of Original Medicare.
Blue Shield Medicare Supplement Documents
- BSC 2018 Medicare Supplement Plans Rates
- BSC Med Supp Plan F Extra_Hearing Insert
- BSC Med Supp Plan F Extra_PERS Insert
- Blue Shield Med Sup App 9_2018
- Blue Shield Med Sup Plans FX SOB 9_18
- Blue Shield Med Sup Rates 10_18
- Dental Vision Medicare Enrollment Form BSC
- Easy Pay Form BSC
- Guarantee Acceptance BSC
- Medicare Replacement Notification BSC
- Medicare Supplement Transfer Form BSC